National Hero Award
The Presidential Order
David Agmashenebeli Order
Golden Fleece Order
Order - I rank
Order - II rank
Order- III rank
Order of Honor
Medal "Military Honor"
Medal "Military Courage"
Basic Information on the procedure of honoring with orders and medals of the Republic of Georgia
Medals and orders of the Republic of Georgia are approved by the Parliament and issued in for the following activities: defending motherland, heroic acts during the battles for unifying country and personal merit in the building of state, which is honored by the Head of the State of Georgia
The medals and orders of the Republic of Georgia may award to any citizen of Georgia and to a person with a foreign citizenship or without any citizenship.
The description of medals and orders of the Republic of Georgia, along with merit list, for which these medals and orders are issued, the procedure of honoring and the special rules of wearing medals and orders is precisely defined by the Republic of Georgia's Medals and Orders Award Statue.
Those who have been issued an award may be honored repeatedly with same or another award.
Individuals may also be honored with medals and orders of the Republic of Georgia after death.
Georgian State Resolution regarding Orders-Awards and Medals
Resolution Approved by Parliament on December 24th, 1992
1. For the Georgian citizens who have carried out actions that were heroic and courageous, associated with the protection of their motherland and fighting for the unification of their country, and associated with an immense and active participation in the building process of an independent Georgian government, the government is distributing orders, awards and medals:
a) National Hero Award
b) St. George's Victory Order
c) The Presidential Order of Excellence
d) David Agmashenebeli Order
e) Golden Fleece Order
f) Vakhtang Gorgasal's Order- I, II, III ranks
g) Order of Honor
h) Medal "Military Courage"
i) Medal "Military Honor"
j) "Honor" Medal
(24.06.2004 N 218)
1a. The title of a National Hero is the most honorable governmental title in Georgia,
which is awarded to a person for distinct, heroic actions. Along with a title of a
National Hero, the person is awarded with an order. (24.06.2004 N 218)
1b. St. George's Victory Order is awarded to individuals who have significantly
contributed to victorious battles. (24.06.2004 N 218)
2. The Award of David Agmashenebeli is given to regular citizens, military and clerical personnel for the immense contribution to their country; for fighting for the independence of Georgia and its revival, for significantly contributing to the social consolidation and democracy development
3. The Golden Fleece Order is awarded to individuals with foreign citizenship and to those holding no citizenship, who have significantly contributed to the governmental "building", national security interests, sovereignty and protection of territorial unity, formation of democratic and free society, formation of useful bilateral relationship with foreign countries and international organizations, protection of rights of Georgian citizens living abroad, popularization of the Georgian culture, development of Georgian Science and Art. (26.06.98. N 1501)
4. Vakhtang Gorgasal's Order is awarded to military personnel who displayed courage and heroism in the fight for protection of their motherland and its territorial unification, while skillfully leading them, protected military division, created and carried out military operations.
There are 3 ranks of the order, the issuing of the order occurs in the following way:
III rank order is awarded to individuals who displayed maximum battling preparedness when fulfilling their duties at a workplace.
II rank order is awarded to military and police personnel who successfully carried out orders given out by military leaders.
I rank order is awarded to individuals who outstandingly contributed to their nation and motherland, devoted and sacrificed their lives.
5. The "Order of Honor" is awarded to citizens who took part in the building process of an independent government - devoted themselves, displayed heroism and actively participated in approving and sustaining the following - governing, defense, law and order, farming, health protection, achievement in the fields of science, education, culture, literature, art and sports.
6. "Military Courage" Medals are awarded to military and police personnel for protection of motherland while displaying bravery and courage when carrying out military duties, for heroic and daring actions.
7. "Military Honor" Medals are awarded to Georgian military personnel and citizens who actively participated in the protection of their motherland and its territorial unity.
8. "Honor" Medals are awarded to Georgian citizens who actively participated in the revival of Georgia and devoted themselves to noble deeds.
Georgian Law "About Georgian State Awards"
The Georgian parliament declared:
1. The following state orders-awards and medals should be approved:
a) National Hero Award
b) St. George's Victory Order
c) David Agmashenebeli Order
d) Golden Fleece Order
e) Vakhtang Gorgasal's Order- I, II, III ranks
f) Order of Honor
g) Medal "Military Courage"
h) Medal "Military Honor"
i) "Honor" Medal
(24.06.2004 N 217)
2. Georgian State orders-awards and medals statement should be formulated and
3. A simultaneous monetary award should follow the Georgian state awards:
a) National Hero Award - a minimum of working salary times 500
b) St. George's Victory Order - a minimum of working salary times 300
c) David Agmashenebeli Order - a minimum of working salary times 200
d) Vakhtang Gorgasal's Order, rank I - a minimum of working salary times 100
e) Vakhtang Gorgasal's Order, rank II - a minimum of working salary times 50
f) Vakhtang Gorgasal's Order, rank III - a minimum of working salary times 30
g) Order of Honor - a minimum of working salary times 30
h) Medal "Military Courage" - a minimum of working salary times 20
(24.06.2004 N 217)
4. In case of an award issued after death, a simultaneous monetary award shall be issued
to the inheritors of the deceased according to the state law
5. A person awarded with a Military Courage Medal three times shall receive a memorable gift from the president
6. A person awarded with a Vakhtang Gorgasal's Order- I, II, III ranks, David Agmashenebeli Order has the following advantages:
a) according to an approved law, one may use the public transportation free of charge
b) according to an approved law, one will be provided with an insurance free of charge. In both of the cases the government covers the cost. (28.10.97. N1008 Parliamentary Order N45)
7. According to this law's item N3, the simultaneous monetary award along with a specific order is issued to the following individuals who:
a) are awarded from January 1st, 2003
b) participated in the war for the territorial unity of Georgia and for the independence and freedom of Abkhazia and Shida Kartli, regardless of their participation date.
c) were awarder after death (29.01.2003 N 1951)
8. Those individuals who are to receive a simultaneous monetary award according to the item N3 of this law and were not mentioned in the item N7 of the same law shall be granted the awards from January 1st, 2005
Chairman - Head of State
Speaker of Parliament
Tbilisi, December 24th, 1992